Jumat, 05 Desember 2014

Healthy Food: A Day in Ubud – Bali

Who doesn’t know about Bali? It is one of famous most-wanted-to visit Islands in the world. There are so many tourist destinations you can visit in Bali. Almost every part of Bali is beautiful and worth visiting. But this time I don’t wanna talk about beaches, temples, mountains or any particular tourist destination; instead I wanna recommend some eating places in Ubud, Bali.

Last week I attended my friend’s wedding party in Bali. As the party ended, I had only a day left to spend before I had to run and catch my flight back to Jakarta in the evening. So I decided to go around, enjoy the beauty of Ubud by having healthy food.

If you are a vegan, love to eat raw organic food, or just simply would like to find some halal food (which is quite hard to find in Bali); this piece of writing might be beneficial for you.

Entrance stairs to Living food lab
My first visit in the morning is to “Living Food Lab”. The first step I entered this place I felt so homey, silent and cozy. This café is indeed a big house that has been transformed into a café. When I went there, almost all tables were occupied. I felt quite uneasy to get in because all of the visitors were coming not only for eating, but also for working. Yup! They looked very busy and serious with their laptops; and it made me afraid to make any noise or if I’d disturb them. As if I was in a library instead of a café. And I realized, though most of the visitors were expatriates, I was the only real tourist who came for fun and find relaxation.

Choose the menu
Terrace: So homey and cozy

raw desserts
Living Food Lab serves locally grown organic raw food. They have salad, juices, green smoothies, raw pizza, and various raw sweet treats. Their tagline is: “Experiments in Conscious Eating”. Perhaps the tagline expresses that they want to ask people to be conscious on the healthiness of what they eat. To support their aim, Living Food Lab is also offering a half-day food preparation class every Saturday and Sunday morning.  

My choice
Key Lime Pie
This café is located close to Monkey Forest, tucked behind Hubud – the Ubud’s premier creative community space.

Having learned the menu, I decided to have a light breakfast. My choices went to a glass of green smoothie and a slice of raw Key lime Pie. The smoothie is fresh and the raw pie is surprisingly yummy. The pie is made of cashew nut, virgin coconut oil, date paste, lime juice, avocado, and vanilla. The pie has soft texture, light-sweet from date paste, sweet-smelling of vanilla, nice savory combination of cashew and coconut oil, and fresh after-taste flavor of lime. Perfecto! I did really enjoy every bite of it. It costs no more than 50K IDR. Don’t forget to bring cash since they don’t accept any debit or credit card.

Green smoothie and Raw key lime pie
Living food lab

Next, I had my lunch at Sari Organik. Eating at Sari Organik is a lovely experience; not only for the food but also its location. The restaurant is located in the middle of Ubud’s rice fields. Imagine, having lunch in a sunny afternoon, in the middle of green rice fields, far away from crowds, city noises, and air pollution...as far as the eyes can see is paddies..., lovely!


The view adds special sensation to your lunch time

walk along rice fields
Welcoming stone
Sari Organik is located in Jl. Raya Tjampuhan, Ubud – Bali. It is quite difficult to find the place, since you have to walk for about 800m – 1km from the main road. If you come from Ubud Palace, you need to head towards Tjampuhan Bridge. Turn right up a road that looks more like a driveway. You’ll find a small sign with Sari Organik on it and its phone number. Park your car there, and walk along a small narrow road. Till you meet rice fields, keep walking for about 800m, the restaurant will be in your left side. There will be a round stone in front of the restaurant, written “Wellcome to Sari Organik, Subak Sok Wayah Ubud”. Sari Organik is also called as Warung Bodag Maliah, so don’t get confuse with the different names.

This restaurant serves various organic foods. The ingredients are coming straight from their own organic garden or they buy it from local farmers who grow their plants without chemical additives.
I chose Grilled tuna with yellow curry sauce and a glass of Ginger lime honey for my lunch; while my friend had a plate of fried rice and fresh mango juice. They all taste really good. The pictures below will tell you more about it. ;)

Fried red rice, organic vegetables & an egg on top
Ginger lime honey and Mango Juice
Grilled tuna with yellow curry sauce, potato and organic vegetables
 paprika, long bean, carrot, zucchini, baby kailan, squash
You can change tuna with breast chicken
No more plastic straw, use bamboo instead

The third place I visited was the Alchemy. The location is not quite far from Sari Organik, right in the main street. This café sells various fresh juices and raw smoothies, homemade raw drinks, raw frosties and ice creams, raw soda pop, kinds of salads, raw chocolate, raw desserts and snacks, organic supplements, organic cosmetics, and many more. It’s a vegan café, juice bar and an organic shop as well. It opens on Mon – Sun, from 7:00 to 21:00.

Having claimed as the first 100% raw vegan café in Bali, the Alchemy prepares everything free from refined sugar, flour, dairy, wheat and chemical additives. They serve a wholesome four-meter all raw salad every day, and grow their own greens.  

Everything looked tempting to try. Actually I was interested to sit for a while and taste something from their menu. But since I was full already, I decided to buy their bottled drink and some organic cosmetics instead.

That’s was my day in Ubud – hunting vegan cafés.... It’s time to catch my plane.
A sign in the main street
Organic Cosmetics. I like it!
Raw bottled drinks
A bowl of salad

Keep the Addresses below in case you’ll need them:
Living Food Lab
Green School, Sibang Kaja, Mambal
+6281337213649
Vegan-friendly, Organic, All Raw, Juice bar, Salad bar, Western
Cash only. Open Mon-Fri 8am-5pm.

Sari Organik
Jl. Raya Tjampuhan, Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
+62 361 972087

Alchemy
57 Penestanan Klod, Ubud (80571)
+62 361971981
Vegan-friendly, All Raw, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Take-out



1 komentar:

  1. Hey there what exactly a terrific write-up I've obtained learn and also really feel us For any good and also watching out at this time there due to this identical type of write-up intended for earlier weekly and also hardly came on this distinct. Thanks a lot and will try to find a lot more posts via a particular person. food delivery ubud bali

    BalasHapus