Kamis, 04 Desember 2014

Maros Edition: Rammang-Rammang – A River Tour

Saturday, 29 November 2014


As planned before this Saturday I would like to go back to Maros, continuing my adventure. Today I’d supposed to visit 2 places: Karst Maros where I can see the longest cave in Indonesia and Rammang-Rammang – a river tour between karst stones. Alas, since I started the day quite late, then I had to choose one place only and hoped that I still had time to visit the other one. The choice went to Rammang-Rammang!

Rammang-Rammang is a village in Maros regency where lays the world’s second longest karst, which spread from Maros to Pangkep, including parts of National Park Bantimurung. In this area we can see a stone park consisting karst that have been eroded by weather. The stones form unique shapes that make it beautiful – fencing the rice field spreading along the area. I call it exotic!

Rammang-Rammang is located in Bontoa, around 40km from Makassar. The location is just before the cement plant Bosowa. Just go along Poros Maros – Pangkajene, till you reach Bontoa. Soon, you’ll see a direction on your right that will lead you to the Cement Plant Bosowa. Turn right, and stop on the first bridge you meet. Park your car, and go down the bridge. There you’ll find a dock, “Dermaga Rammang-Rammang”.


Next, you’ll have to rent a boat. They asked me around 250,000 IDR, but I could bargain and got it for 200,000 IDR per boat to take me explore the Pute River. Along the river, your eyes will be presented by the beautiful scenery of karst. This boat sailing will end its journey in a small village named Kampung Berua. Jump off the boat, enjoy the beauty and the tranquility of the village and let the boat person wait for you.




Kampung Berua is a small village where there are only around 10 houses inhabit the place. This village is surrounded by karst hills. As far as the eyes can see, you will capture the green rice fields. Some cattle are also seen grazing.

A cool breeze blowing, the sun shines brightly..., no crowd, no disturbing noise...  I don’t know how to describe it more... I just feel so relax, peace and tranquil.


In this village you can also find two caves: Goa Sikki Berlian and Goa Barru Berlian. To get into the caves, you will have to hire local people to take you; otherwise they will not show you the way nor let you get into the caves. Yes, they close the access to the caves. One thing I regret: the beauty of the place is not supported by the local hospitality. The government hasn't been managing the place and there’s no authorized retribution. So, local people own it and install bamboos to close the road.  




Having satisfied enjoying the beauty of the village, I got back to the boat and sailed back to the dock. The time showed 15:30, I was still hoping to visit Karst Maros in Bantimurung area. But the gray sky stopped me, and I decided to return home.....



Ps. If you wanna use public transportation, you can reach the place by Pete-Pete (angkot) from Terminal Daya in Makassar to Maros – Pangkep. Stop at Rammang-Rammang. The “pete-pete” costs you around 12,000 IDR


2 komentar: